Vulval Trainee Award
Vulval Trainee Award
The BSSVD invites 2023/2024 Trainee Award applications from January 2023 (closing date 1st October 2023). The aim of this award is to facilitate an individualised programme of vulval training. Each award will be funded up to a maximum value of £2500. A suggested programme might be 10 visits to centres where vulval experience can be gained, in addition to attendance at a relevant meeting or conference. The training may be in one or several centres so the training may involve several supervisors at different sites.
Potential applicants should contact BSSVD members to help construct their suggested award programmes and determine whether there is availability for training. The award will be expected to be taken up within 6 months of the award being made and to be completed within 12 months.
Three BSSVD council members will independently judge the applications and score them out of 5 on the following criteria:
(i) Degree of commitment demonstrated by the applicant;
(ii) Strength of local support for award;
(iii) Relevant experience;
(iv) Appropriateness of timing in the applicant’s career;
(v) Overall clarity and coherence of the application.
This will give a score out of twenty-five, and these scores will be converted to a ranking of candidates by each judge, which will then be amalgamated to produce an overall ranking for all candidates. These will be reviewed by the judges to ensure there is consensus about the overall winners. If a judge works in the same department as a candidate or is involved in their application then they will step out of the judging procedure and the combined rankings of the remaining judges will be used
• The project must aim to improve the understanding and/or treatment of vulval diseases.
• One entry per member is permitted.
• One award will be funded in open competition to UK trainees (including post CCT fellows).
• Applications are welcomed from dermatology, genitourinary, sexual health, dermatopathology and gynaecology trainees (including post CCT fellows).
• Applicants must be BSSVD trainee members
• Applicants will normally be within the last two years of their expected completion of training.
• The award will be expected to be taken up within 6 months of the award being made and to be completed within 12 months.
Required documents include:
• Personal statement (maximum 500 words) outlining:
(i) Reason for applying for the award;
(ii) Desired clinical experience;
(iii) Details of venues, dates and supervising consultants(s);
(iv) Details of conference/meeting which the applicant may wish to attend with justification (not compulsory), and
(v) Explanation of how training is expected to be enhanced by the experience.
• Letters of support from
(i) Educational supervisor,
(ii) Training programme director (home region),
(iii) Proposed supervisor(s) – copy of email confirmation will be accepted from proposed supervisors.
• Detailed costing of proposed award activity.
The application Process may be downloaded here: Application Process 2023
Application Forms can be downloaded from the Society’s website Download Form
Please send your completed application to Mr David Nunns before 1st October 2023.
Send Application Here